Building on the acclaimed V.A.S.T. technology and the features that have made the award-winning K2000 Series the professionals’ choice worldwide, the Kurzweil K2500 Series goes several steps further. The 88 note Kurzweil K2500X feature a superb keyboard feel, an extensive user interface and the extraordinary processing power of Kurzweil’s most powerful instrument ever.
The Kurzweil K2500 and K2500X are more than “workstations”: they’re “Production Stations”. They enable you to complete a project – from conception to final master – without leaving the K2500 environment. Interfacing the K2500 with other digital and analog equipment is a breeze. And, of course, they have 8 MB of Kurzweil’s finest sounds on board, which can be expanded to 28 MB.
The K2500 keyboards have what you need for your most challenging projects: true 48-note polyphony; software upgrades from floppy or SCSI; 60 DSP functions; up to 28 MB of internal ROM sounds, 128 MB of sample RAM and 1.25 MB of battery-backed sequence/program memory; an array of controllers, including assignable pressure strips; dual SCSI ports; analog and digital I/O (with options).
Kurzweil instruments have always been known for their superb sound quality and powerful, state of the art sampling technology. With the K2500 and K2500X models, Kurzweil has added top-quality keyboards controller capabilities. The K2500X features 88 fully weighted piano-style keys.
The Kurzweil K2500 & K2500X are also full-fledged MIDI controllers with a wealth of assignable control sources. An expressive pressure strip, centered above the keyboard, can be programmed in three zones or one long zone to provide a “touch and hold” facility. A short pressure strip and two buttons near the pitch and mod wheels add dramatically to the instruments’ expressiveness. The front panel also incorporates eight independently assignable sliders, eleven assignable buttons with tri-colored LEDs, and three sequencer buttons.
The rear panels of the K2500 and K2500X provide additional controller inputs and interfacing options. The controller inputs include four footswitch, one breath-controller and two continuous control pedal jacks. Connectivity is easy with two 25-pin SCSI connectors and MIDI In, Out and Thru (MIDI Thru switchable to a copy of MIDI Out). Rear panel outputs include a pair of mixed audio outs, eight individual audio outs (which double as inserts) and one headphone output. Add K2500 Options (SMP-2X Sampling Option, KDFX Digital Effects Option or DMTi Digital Multi Track Interface) for a full range of additional digital I/Os and data conversion facilities.
The Kurzweil K2500 Series is a major step forward in electronic musical instrument technology. Each instrument combines a powerful sampler, effects processor, software-based sequencer, hierarchical file directory system, true 48-note polyphony, flexible interfacing and Kurzweil’s uniquely powerful V.A.S.T. processing technology, all in one unit.
• 88 note weighted action keyboard
• V.A.S.T. variable architecture synthesis with 60 DSP functions
• Highly readable 60 x 240 backlit LCD display
• Up to 128 MB of Sample RAM
• Dual SCSI Ports
• 32-track Sequencer
• Flash ROM (for software updates via floppy disk and SCSI)
• Live Mode allows real time V.A.S.T. and KDFX processing of an external signal (requires sampling option)
• Sampling Option with analog and digital I/O and sample-while-play
• Extensive Sample Processing
• KB3 Mode adds an incredible tone wheel organ emulation
• Full MIDI controller capabilities: Includes 8 sliders, 2 ribbon controllers, 2 button switches, 4 switch pedal jacks, 2 continuous controller jacks, breath controller jack, mod wheel (without spring), pitch bend wheel (with spring), and aftertouch – all assignable to any MIDI controller number.
• Advanced File Management System
• Powerful KDFX digital reverb and effects option with digital I/O
• Up to 28 MB of Internal ROM Sounds
• DMTi Digital MultiTrack interface option for data format and sample rate conversion (interfaces with Alesis ADAT and Tascam DA-88)
• K2500 – 76-note semi-weighted piano-style keyboard
• K2500X – 88-note fully-weighted piano-style keyboard.
• Power Supply: User switchable international power supply
• Architecture: Proprietary V.A.S.T. system
• Polyphony: 48 voices (or 24 stereo)
• Display: 64 x 240 fluorescent backlit display
• Outputs: 8 audio outs (double as inserts) plus mix master pair. 600 ohm stereo headphone out
• With SMPK-2 Sample Option: Stereo 1/4″ unbalanced analog hi-Z input (tip/ring/sleeve); two balanced (Lo-Z) XLR inputs.
• Digital I/O: AES-EBU, optional S/PDIF (via Optical and RCA) inputs and outputs.
• KDS (Kurzweil Digital Stream) out provides digital out for interfacing with other options.
• Sample RAM: up to 128 MB via standard 30 or 72 (depending on date of manufacture) pin SIMMs
• Sound ROM: up to 28 MB; 8MB base ROM with full K2000 file compatibility.
• Optional 8 MB Orchestral ROM Sound Block and 8 MB Contemporary ROM Sound Block; 4 MB Stereo Grand Piano Sound Block
• Sequence/Program RAM: 256KB user-programmable battery-backed RAM, expandable to 1.25MB via standard SIPP memory.
• SCSI support: Two SCSI-1 25-pin D connectors (to Apple specifications and pinout)
• OS Upgrades: User-installed upgrades supplied on 3.5in DOS compatible floppy disks or via download from Kurzweil’s web site, saved to 3.5in FD or transfer via SCSI to K2500R battery backed “Flash” EPROM. PC DOS compatibility required.
• Advanced File Management System: DOS based, compatible disk format allows for friendly cataloging and retrieving of sounds/files, and powerful utilities include: file search, provide info about media/available space/used space etc., disk MACRO, and Startup file applications allow easy custom configuration.
• Sequencer: Full-function sequencer with 16 song and 16 arrangement tracks. Offers pattern, linear, and step recording, Cut, Copy, Paste, advanced ‘groove’ quantizing, event list editing and other powerful editing tools. Sequences can be triggered in real time from the keyboard.
• Compatibility: Reads/writes Standard MIDI Files, AIFF, and .WAVE files. Reads libraries via SCSI in Roland 700 series, Akai S900, S950, S1000, S1100, and S3000, and Ensoniq EPS, and ASR file formats. Reads FDs in Ensoniq and Akai formats.
• Dimensions: 54.3″ x 17.8″ x 4.8″ (137.9 cm x 45.1 cm x 12.2 cm)
• Weight:K2500 55.5 lb. (25.2 kg), K2500X 72 lb. (32.7 kg)
• SMP-2X Advanced Sampling Option with Digital I/O, Optical I/O, and Sample-while-play. DSP functions include time compression/expansion, pitch shifting, re-sampling, pasting samples on a beats per minute time line (Mix Beat), volume ramps, mix sample and many other functions.
• Contemporary ROM, Orchestral ROM, Stereo Grand Piano ROM
• Soundblocks add additional ROM samples, along with new preset programs and setups